What does video mapping involve?
Technology has dramatically evolved all over the world. Its evolution has increased its use in most sectors of the world.
You could have noticed that most businesses use digital methods use to conduct their activities. Advertisers and artists have not been left behind as they use video mapping to conduct their activities. Video or projection mapping involves using projectors to exhibit images, illusions, or animations on buildings or walls to invoke an artistic outcome.
Using images to capture a crowd has been around since time immemorial and has been evolving every now and then.
Video mapping has been able to keep up with technology as it is pretty flexible. In fact, in today’s video mapping, some modern equipment such as video walls and LED screens are incorporated.
You may want to indulge in video mapping but do not know where to start. First and foremost, you need to understand which parts of video mapping form the most vital elements. The following are the primary keys to projection mapping;
- Ambiance– as projection mapping involves creating a visual effect, light is a crucial factor. It is through the light that the images to be projected can be drawn. Suppose you are hoping to achieve quality projections. In that case, you need to control light in terms of the interval between the projector and the projecting surface, the vigor of the light, and the attributes of the images to be projected.
- Projection surface– using the appropriate projection surface is as important as any other factor. The projection surface should be compatible with images. This will ensure that the photos are of high quality. You should also note that different surfaces can be used as projection surfaces. These surfaces include walls, canvases, fabrics, and so much more.
- Sound– in video mapping, not only visual effect is significant but also audio effect. You should therefore find a way to incorporate sounds into your video mapping project. Adding a sound to an image can cause it to appear new and unique.
- Projectors– these devices are used in different ways by different people. Projectors are used in schools, at home, and even professionally. There are, therefore, a variety of projectors for each use. As your aim is video mapping, you should look for a projector that you will use professionally. You should ensure that it has all the required features to project as you want.
With the above keys, you can commence your video mapping project. However, there are certain factors that you would need to put into perspective as you carry out your video mapping project. These factors include;
The amount of money allocated for a specific project determines the type of professional and equipment hired.
Therefore, you should make it a point to set out a reasonable budget that will allow you to get quality results without dipping too much into your pockets.
For example, there is unique equipment that could dwindle the size of projected images, thus substantially lowering the cost of the whole project while maintaining the audience’s attention.
You cannot have a projection without having an audience, whether it is a small or large group. It is your responsibility to ensure that the whole audience will be able to see the projected images.
As you prepare for the projection, you should test out different angles from where the audience will be seated. This will ensure that the whole audience views the projected images, not just a part of them.
There are video projectors that adjust depending on the environmental conditions. These could also come in handy for you, especially if you have a vast audience.
This is a very crucial factor that affects your video mapping project in two ways. One of these ways is by acting the time you have to plan for the video mapping.
Video mapping requires planning so that you can have good results. The initial planning involves:
- The hiring of equipment and professionals.
- Preparing the location.
- Planning the seating arrangement of the audience.
Without adequate time, you may not be able to plan for all this. This could lead to a poor-quality projection.
As you prepare for the video mapping, you should also find out the amount of time you have for the projection. This information will assist you in correctly planning your project to allow for viewing all the projected images.
As you plan your video mapping, there must be a message that you would like the audience to take. This message should be the priority.
You should ensure that the message is not distorted in any way during the projection. This will be a waste of time and resources as you will not have delivered the message as you hoped.
Selection of professionals.
It has always been emphasized that no man is an island. Therefore, no matter the skills you have in video mapping, you would still need to hire a team of professionals to assist you.
As you select the professionals, you need to ensure that they are highly qualified to avoid any mess-ups during your project.
In most cases, the team will require to be prepared with a few programs and software that are pretty useful in video mapping.
Video mapping projects require you to use various equipment for lighting, sound, and image design.
Any good quality work requires a piece of high-quality equipment. It would be best if you, therefore, were prepared to invest in the video mapping equipment.
This condition applies when buying and hiring. You should also note that as you select the equipment, it should be compatible with the image and projection surface factors.
These factors should assist in conducting high-quality video mapping. Now that we have established that video mapping could be used in different ways, we could look at the different types of video mapping. They are as follows;
- Micro mapping- this is a type of mapping that involves the projection of minute images. You can mix these images. Micro mapping is primarily used in advertising.
- Engaging video mapping- this type of mapping requires image projection that allows the audience to interact with images.
- Urban mapping– it involves image projection that is done outdoors. A building or wall is used as the projection surface.
- Table mapping- this type of mapping is used in events to allow for engagingly animating the dinners to keep the public entertained.